Gamjatang - Korean Spicy Pork Bone Soup
I order this most of the time when we go out to eat Korean food. It’s spicy and has a deep pork bone flavour, seasoned with nappa cabbage bean sprouts, potato, red pepper flakes, red pepper paste, soy bean paste, perilla seeds, and ginger. It takes about 3 hours to make, but within those 3 hours, a lot of flavours develop and it’ll make your tongue happy. It just tastes amazing, and it warms you up. Super nom for winter.
Chicken & Green Bean Stir Fry
One of my favourite dishes is Szechuan Four Season Green Beans. To achieve the texture of the blistered crinkly looking green beans is to stir fry them on super high heat in a wok. Unfortunately, I don’t own a wok and I don’t own a gas stove, so for this recipe, I tried my best with what I had.
Ingredients: 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs + 2-3 tbsp soy sauce + 1 tbsp sugar + 1/2 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine + 1 tsp all spice + 2 handfuls of green beans + 1/4 cup vegetable oil + minced garlic
1. Prep the green beans. Cut of both ends, rinse, and dry. They have to be completely dry before you stir fry them. If a drop of water hits the hot oil, things will start splashing and splattering and it’ll get scary. You can take an extra step and dry the beans with paper towels.
2. Prep the chicken. Cut into bite size pieces and marinate with soy sauce, sugar, corn starch, Chinese cooking wine, all spice and a drizzle of vegetable oil.
3. Meanwhile, Heat vegetable oil in a pan or a wok on high heat. When the oil is hot, slowly place beans into the oil. I’m usually scared of the oil splashing and blowing up in my face, so I use a pot lid to shield myself when the green beans go in.
4. Cook and stir for 5-10 minutes until they start blistering. Make sure they don’t burn.
5. Remove and drain on paper towels. Leave about 1 tbsp of oil and discard the rest.
6. While the pan/wok is still hot, cook the chicken. Again, keep tossing and stirring to prevent it from burning and sticking to the pan: 2-3 minutes.
7. When the chicken is almost fully cooked, toss in minced garlic and the green beans. Toss altogether. Plate. Serve.